Tuesday, March 31, 2009

The Futility of Religion

I'm no fan of religion. Any religion--just doesn't work. It doesn't provide what's promoted. Religion is based on having a god that needs to be appeased... either in an effort to gain his/her/its favor and remain in good standing with said deity, or in an effort to avoid his/her/its wrath.

Many religious people believe God is ticked off, at a distance, and separated because of their inability to perform adequately enough to keep his affection. That is not true. It is a lie. God says, "I will never leave you or forsake you. I love you. There is not condemnation for those who are in Christ." That is the truth.

There is something much better than religion--a real and living relationship, even friendship, with the real and living God. That's exactly what Saul (later known as the Apostle Paul) discovered, as recorded in the New Testament:

"My dear brothers and fathers, listen carefully to what I have to say before you jump to conclusions about me." When they heard him speaking Hebrew, they grew even quieter. No one wanted to miss a word of this.

He continued,
"I am a good Jew, born in Tarsus in the province of Cilicia, but educated here in Jerusalem under the exacting eye of Rabbi Gamaliel, thoroughly instructed in our religious traditions. And I've always been passionately on God's side, just as you are right now.

"I went after anyone connected with this 'Way,' went at them hammer and tongs, ready to kill for God. I rounded up men and women right and left and had them thrown in prison. You can ask the Chief Priest or anyone in the High Council to verify this; they all knew me well. Then I went off to our brothers in Damascus, armed with official documents authorizing me to hunt down the Christians there, arrest them, and bring them back to Jerusalem for sentencing.

"As I arrived on the outskirts of Damascus about noon, a blinding light blazed out of the skies and I fell to the ground, dazed. I heard a voice: 'Saul, Saul, why are you out to get me?'
" 'Who are you, Master?' I asked.

"He said, 'I am Jesus the Nazarene, the One you're hunting down.'
My companions saw the light, but they didn't hear the conversation.

"Then I said, 'What do I do now, Master?'

"He said, 'Get to your feet and enter Damascus. There you'll be told everything that's been set out for you to do.'
And so we entered Damascus, but nothing like the entrance I had planned— I was blind as a bat and my companions had to lead me in by the hand.

"And that's when I met Ananias, a man with a sterling reputation in observing our laws— the Jewish community in Damascus is unanimous on that score. He came and put his arm on my shoulder. 'Look up,' he said. I looked, and found myself looking right into his eyes— I could see again! (Acts 22:1-13, The Message)

Later, when Paul wrote about the difference between religion and a real relationship with the living God, here is what he had to say:

"We Jews know that we have no advantage of birth over "non-Jewish sinners." We know very well that we are not set right with God by rule keeping but only through personal faith in Jesus Christ. How do we know? We tried it— and we had the best system of rules the world has ever seen! Convinced that no human being can please God by self-improvement, we believed in Jesus as the Messiah so that we might be set right before God by trusting in the Messiah, not by trying to be good.

Have some of you noticed that we are not yet perfect? (No great surprise, right?) And are you ready to make the accusation that since people like me, who go through Christ in order to get things right with God, aren't perfectly virtuous, Christ must therefore be an accessory to sin? The accusation is frivolous. If I was "trying to be good," I would be rebuilding the same old barn that I tore down. I would be acting as a charlatan.

What actually took place is this: I tried keeping rules and working my head off to please God, and it didn't work. So I quit being a "law man" so that I could be God's man. Christ's life showed me how, and enabled me to do it. I identified myself completely with him. Indeed, I have been crucified with Christ. My ego is no longer central. It is no longer important that I appear righteous before you or have your good opinion, and I am no longer driven to impress God. Christ lives in me. The life you see me living is not "mine," but it is lived by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. I am not going to go back on that." (Galatians 2:15-21, The Message)

No comments: