Monday, March 30, 2009

Screamin' Preachers

I don't get it. I don't understand why some people like screaming preachers. I suspect they see it as an indication of passion. I don't get it.

I've known my wife for over twenty-seven years and we've been married for over twenty-four of those years. I have deep passion for her, but I don't scream at her... or about her.

I'm also passionate about some sports teams and sporting events, but would never relegate a relationship with God to something as trivial as those things.

So when it comes to preachers, unlike any other form of public speaking, why is volume seen as a sign of deeper sincerity and commitment? Volume does not equal passion... or integrity... or proximity to the Almighty.

I love God with all my heart, but I don't have to yell at you to convince you of his reality or worth. As I see it, I'm not angry... nothing is on fire... I'm not trying to sell you a used car; I really see no reason to scream.

2 comments:

Brian said...

I grew up in a Pentecostal church where a minister's volume was in direct relationship with how "anointed" he was during a sermon.

Like Phil Donahue told Bill O'Reilly... "Loud doesn't mean right."

"pastor" Jim Thompson said...

inrepair:
I know some guys who have big voices and strong personalities--that's just who they are. What gets me is guys who are generally quiet and introverted but when they preach they become a different person(ality)altogether--seems fake to me.

I can see a loud voice being useful in the days before electricity and microphones, but with modern audio technology it seems less necessary to yell at one's audience.

PJT