Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Obedience ISN'T Everything

For years I've said that if I condensed my relationship with God down to a bumper sticker it would read: "Obedience is Everything". Jesus said, "If you love me, you'll obey my commands." Each action a test of love; every lapse of obedience was spiritual infidelity, demonstration of a lack of love on my part. Obedience is everything.

No it isn't. That's not relationship. Taking on the Avis motto, "We Try Harder", thinking it would get me where I wanted to be, but it just doesn't work. Do more. Try harder. Work longer.

Yet one can still come up feeling like God is distant, wondering if He really exists. Striving, yet never connecting. Futility.

But what if Jesus wasn't giving us a requirement--a prerequisite-- but rather a promise? If you love me, live in relationship with me, abide with me, then I promise that obedience will be the mark of your life.

It's not about obeying in order to earn his love, or even prove your love for God. It's about wanting to obey because I know how much I am loved. Obedience isn't everything. Love is everything.

Many people strive to keep the Law (obey) in order to win God's favor and we never can do it--every one of us falls short. God says if you'll live in my love, you'll be able to do what you strove to do but were unable to do. Sweet spot.

1 comment:

MaryMartha said...

I am enjoying so much your "renewed" blog. You are writing really good stuff! MM