Saturday, March 28, 2009

Role Reversal

Much of the tension in our culture today is because the Church has forgotten its role. Evangelical Christians in particular get blasted for being condemning, judgmental and unloving.

It is the job of God's Holy Spirit to convict of sin. Jesus said, "But I tell you the truth: It is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Counselor will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you. When he comes, he will convict the world of guilt in regard to sin and righteousness and judgment: in regard to sin, because men do not believe in me; in regard to righteousness, because I am going to the Father, where you can see me no longer; and in regard to judgment, because the prince of this world now stands condemned. (John 16:7-11)

I don't understand all that that means, but I do get this: It's not my job to convict people of sin. It is my job to love what God loves, and it is His job to convict of sin.

The Church as some point got that twisted; believing it's God's job to love (which He does) and our job to convict people of sin (which it is not). I believe this ungodly role reversal is the cause of so much animosity in our society.

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. (John 3:16) God loves people and true Christ followers love what God loves.

Some critics may be quick to point to scripture like "Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. (1 John 2:15), but that is not talking about people, but rather the value systems of the world that are contrary to God's value system.

I like the way The Message interprets that passage: "Don't love the world's ways. Don't love the world's goods. Love of the world squeezes out love for the Father."

If followers of Jesus will simply love the world--simply love the person in front of us at any given moment--and let the Holy Spirit convict the world, we will get a different reaction and see a different response from people. It's time for the Church to do another role reversal.

No comments: