Friday, March 20, 2009

Nude Photo Shoot

No pictures on this post. Be grateful. I went to the skin doc today. I've got ivory skin/red hair and an ideal candidate for skin cancer. Several suspicious moles have been removed over the past few months. So today we did "body mapping", head-to-toe photos of every inch of skin. A point of comparison for future checkups to see if any spots change color and/or shape, or if any new growths appear.

I always thought I'd be embarrassed to pose nude, but nah. Not that I'm looking to make a career shift in that direction. It was easy knowing the doc wasn't there to make me feel guilty for being out of shape, wasn't there to scold me for not wearing sunscreen with a higher SPF, wasn't there to compare me to the models and celebrities whose pictures filled the magazines in his waiting room.

He was there to help me. If he found anything that would endanger me he was ready to remove it and make things right. I've come to see God and judgment in a similar light. God is not looking to condemn me for imperfections; or scold me for being "less than" and for not measuring up.

God wants to examine me in order to help me... in order to right whatever may endanger me. So there is no fear, and there is no shame, no hesitancy in stepping into the light of God's judging gaze.

"Search me, O God, and know my heart; Test me and know my thoughts;
And see if there be any hurtful way in me, And lead me along the path of everlasting life."
(Psalm 139:23-24)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I applaud the fact that you're taking care of yourself and getting the check done, Jim. Your statements about the doc not making you feel bad about whatever habits, and this making you more comfortable, are a good reminder to all healthcare providers that there's NO NEED TO NAG!

"pastor" Jim Thompson said...

I hear the clapping--thanks!! Yeah, nagging doesn't work, whether it's coming from a doctor, a teacher, a parent, a preacher, a boss or a spouse. If people do respond it's usually with resentment and attitude. I'm learning to say NO to the urge to nag.