Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Who Moved?

I was walking through a classroom the other day and noticed a sign that really annoyed me. Beautifully framed, and written in swirling calligraphy was the message, "If you don't feel close to God guess who moved?"

It annoyed me because the message behind the message was "shame on you!". The implication is that God would never move because "He's the same yesterday, today and forever". Artistically scripted was the accusatory message that if the reader didn't feel close to God it was their own fault.

You know what's wrong with religion? Everything. Religion is about appeasing whatever god is being worshiped; jumping through hoops to stay on the deity's good side, and avoiding imperfection so as not to incur his/her/its wrath. What a horrible way to live.

Don't get me wrong, I believe in The One True God, the God Jesus called "Father". But He is not about religion. Religion always gets in the way of relationship. Religion says we must perform well in order to stay in His good graces. He says, "Because of my good graces you can come to me just as you are and I will heal you and make you whole."

God is not angry at you. He is near, and He wants a relationship with you. If you don't feel close to God it doesn't mean anybody moved. Don't mistake silence for distance. He promised to never abandon His children. He is near you right now. He cares for you and He's listening.

4 comments:

MaryMartha said...

I appreciate the new take on a old saying. Thanks! MM

MaryMartha said...

. . . AN old saying. . .!!!

Anonymous said...

I really appreciate your view, Jim. You are so open-minded, and THIS is what a lot of religion is lacking.

I am in a total funk right now, and despite being a militant atheist for the majority of my life, I have lately felt the need for a "push" from somewhere much deeper than I am used to going.

Brian said...

First, I am so glad you are posting again.

Second, I don't want to give you the "big head," but I consider you to be akin to a modern-day prophet. You aren't afraid to speak your mind, even when what you have to say is in direct conflict with what the majority of Christians have adopted as their belief system.

Thanks for sharing your journey and for always speaking openly about what you're thinking and struggling with.