Friday, October 31, 2008

Redneck Mecca


I traveled through the tunnel to the big city today, making a pilgrimage to the Bass Pro Shop. It was amazing.

As I parked my pick-up truck in the far corner of the lot and began to approach the front doors I felt the transformation begin--the shoulders pull back as the chest swells, the walk morphs into a macho swagger--I could literally feel the testosterone levels rising with each step.


What is it about this place? The kids can have Disney World, this is the real Magic Kingdom.


The brochure touts the 105,000 feet of shopping space filled with gear for all your outdoor needs. It's mostly about hunting and fishing, with a small section of gifts and trinkets for NASCAR enthusiasts. I'm not really into killing wildlife, but could do some serious damage to my wallet in the hiking, camping and kayaking departments.

My favorite part is the 19,000 gallon fresh water aquarium with the 40-foot rock climbing wall and cascading waterfall.

No comments: