Sunday, October 12, 2008

Ridiculous Prayers

I want to see comedian Bill Maher’s new documentary Religulous”. I love Bill Maher, and agree with him that much of religion is ridiculous--there is some weird stuff out there! I'll admit that much of what I believe is not rational...or logical. Talking serpents, people walking on water, people being raised from the dead. I believe all that stuff is possible.

I like what Mark Batterson writes: "Faith is not logical. But it isn't illogical either. Faith is theological. It does not ignore reality; it just adds God into the equation. Faith is not mindless ignorance; it simply refuses to limit God to the logical constraints of the left brain."

The cartoons in my Sunday newspaper are two-dimensional--width and height. If there is a God (and I believe there is) he would not be 2-D, 3-D, or 4-D. He would not be limited by time and space, or any other dimensional limits. He would be omni-dimensional.

"For My thoughts
are not your thoughts, Nor are your ways My ways," says the LORD. "For as the heavens are higher than the earth, So are My ways higher than your ways, And My thoughts than your thoughts. (Isaiah 55:8-9)

Light travels at 186,000 miles per second. The sun is 93 million miles from planet earth. Sunlight is only eight minutes old by the time it reaches us. There are galaxies 12.3 billion light years from earth!

Again, Batterson writes: "It’s time to stop putting God in a box the size of our cerebral cortex. When you live with a sense of destiny, rooted in the Sovereignty of God, you can pray the unthinkable and attempt the impossible. To the infinite, all finites are equal.

When you really believe anything is possible with God it changes the way we pray, because we are asking the One who knows no limits!

"Assuredly, I say to you, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven. "Again I say to you that if two of you agree on earth concerning anything that they ask, it will be done for them by My Father in heaven. "For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them." (Matthew 18:18-20)

I want to pray ridiculous, God-sized prayers, and watch miracles happen!

No comments: