Monday, April 20, 2009

Q & A: Rick Warren

Mega-church pastor, Rick Warren, found himself in a hotbed of controversy when he accepted President Obama's invitation to pray at the inauguration in January.

Several gay and liberal activists decried the choice because Warren opposes same-sex marriage, even though the California mega-church pastor's recent activism has been focused more on poverty reduction and HIV/AIDS around the world.

Since the inauguration, Warren has declined to do interviews with the media, but he spoke with Christianity Today's Sarah Pulliam on April 8 about the backlash from that invitation, Easter, California's Proposition 8, politics and how the economy is affecting his church's global outreach.

I found it to be an interesting read, especially the part where he said he apologized to gay community leaders.

2 comments:

Caroline said...

I know a lot of people were ticked when Obama picked him for the prayer. I actually thought it was a sign of crossing the aisle, just like Obama said he would do. And I don't agree with everything about Rick Warren, but I get the feeling he preaches "love" first and foremost.

Brian said...

I have mixed feelings about him. It seems like he back-pedals too much. He quoted himself from an interview where he seemed to equate homosexuality with pedophilia and incest, and then says "that's not what I meant."

Either way, I wonder if he is going through some of the things that you have been experiencing lately - like realizing it's all about love, really. I hope so.

Karen said something Sunday that will stick with me for some time. We were discussing the issue of gay marriage, and she shook her head and said, "We are going to be so embarrassed." Meaning that one day, when we look back on this time period, many of us will be ashamed at how backwards our views were on this issue.