Thursday, April 23, 2009

Backlash

Yesterday's post generated some "offline" feedback, which was to be expected. As a public speaker for nearly three decades I've always been amazed that people "hear" me say things I never said.

Case in point: In yesterday's post I did not say that "everyone goes to heaven." What I actually wrote was, "It is God's heaven, He can let in whomever He wants."

Does anyone really want to argue the other side of that and basically say someone else gets to tell God who He can and cannot accept, and God has to abide by their verdict?

Bottom line: God is God. You are not. I am not. It's His call to make, not yours or mine.


I also wanted to confront Christians with the fact that too often we don't love people until after they change, rather than loving them as a way of helping them to change; change the way they see God and relate to Him, change destructive behavior, etc.

I also wanted to re-emphasize my conviction that God loves everyone because God is love. He cannot not love because that is who He is.

One friend took issue that I wrote, "God has unlimited patience with everyone". I was simply quoting scripture:

"... I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his unlimited patience as an example for those who would believe (which means they don't yet) on him and receive eternal life." (1 Tim 1:16, NIV)

"The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise (that there will be a Day of the Lord when he makes all things right), as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance." (2 Peter 3:9, NIV)

And finally, one friend took exception with my implying that everyone was a child of God. He chapter-and-versed me:

"Yet to all who received him (Jesus), to those who believed in his (Jesus') name, he gave the right to become children of God." (John 1:12) His point was that only after one believes in Jesus do they become a child of God.

So I chapter-and-versed him right back: "Ephesians 2:2, 5:6, and Colossians 3:6 all refer to 'children of disobedience' or 'disobedient children'." All people are God's children, some are obedient and some are living in disobedience; unbelief or outright rebellion against God.

I get tired of the game of "Scriptural Gotcha"--a person could find a verse of scripture to back up and reinforce just about any theological point they wish to argue. That doesn't get us anywhere--like a dog chasing it's own tail.

The whole point of yesterday's post was "God is loving and patient; not only with those who believe, but especially to those who don't... in hopes that they one day will."
I stand by that.

In the comment section MaryMartha diagnosed the disease accurately: too many have the "older brother complex" from the Prodigal Son story in Luke 15. "Lo, these many years I have been serving you (God); I never transgressed your commandment at any time; and yet you never gave me a ...whatever... that I might make merry with my friends."

It is the attitude of religious performance and obligation, and it is deadly; for the one possessing such an attitude and for the "little brothers" they look down upon.

It's amazing to me that we so often are resistant to, and push back against, the simple truths that "God is love" and "God loves people", period.

2 comments:

Brian said...

It is amazing, isn't it?

On a side note, this space has become my daily devotional of sorts. I can actually feel love when I visit here and read your writings. I hope you can feel the love that is being sent in return.

Don't let 'em bring you down, buddy!

MaryMartha said...

Another thought on Jesus' inclusiveness:

Isn't it interesting that at the Passover table Jesus served the symbol of the new covenant to all who sat there? One who appeared to be a friend but would betray Him. One who loudly proclaimed allegiance but under questioning would deny any knowledge of Him. And all the others who forsook Him and ran away.

Who are we to decide who belongs? I think we're afraid of Jesus' inclusiveness. MM