Friday, April 17, 2009

Independent Choices

True love never forces.

Why does God allow bad things to happen? Does it seem cruel to you that God does not stop bad things from happening if he has the power to do so?

God is love. Love is kind. Love is never cruel. In the popular book The Shack, Papa (God) makes the following statement to Mac about this very subject:

"Nobody knows what horrors I have saved the world from 'cuz people can't see what never happened. All evil flows from independence, and independence is your choice. If I were to simply revoke all the choices of independence, the world as you know it would cease to exist and love would have no meaning.

This world is not a playground where I keep all my children free from evil. Evil is the chaos of this age that you brought to me, but it will not have the final say. Now it touches everyone that I love, those who follow me and those who don't.

If I take away the consequences of people's choices, I destroy the possibility of love. Love that is forced is no love at all. Every choice matters. You demand your independence, but then complain that I actually love you enough to give it to you."

God did not create evil, as some accuse Him of doing. Any evil you encounter in the world can be traced back to someone's selfish choice.

No comments: