Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Nip it in the Bud

We had a blast on our campout! We canoed and kayaked about four miles into the historic Great Dismal Swamp to the campsite and spent the next couple of days fishing, paddling in Lake Drummond and making new friends.

I brought back some souvenirs-- 8 ticks! Small in size, but of no small concern. Lyme Disease is rampant in our area and I have several friends who suffer, one with the most extreme symptoms possible. Who would have guessed that such a tiny creature could cause such huge problems?

A couple a bite areas continue to grow more inflamed with each passing day, so I headed to the doctor -- don't want to take it chances. A cycle of Doxycycline antibiotic will hopefully knock out anything before it starts.

I hear it only takes faith the size of a mustard seed to move mountains, but it only takes problems (or ticks) the size of mustard seeds to create "mountains" in our lives. Barney Fife had good advice, "Nip it! Nip it in the bud!"

Choices have consequences, for better or for worse. My wife and doctor both asked me if the trip is worth all the ticks and chigger bites. Oh yeah, absolutely!!

No comments: