Sunday, April 19, 2009

False Advertisement?

I found an advertisement on my front door knob yesterday morning for a "Christian pest control" company.

I know what they meant--the folks who run the business are Christians, but what popped into my head was, "they only kill Christian termites, they let the agnostic and Jewish termites run wild." Who knew that termites could be Christian or non-Christian?

Does it really matter if the folks treating my home for termites have a little fish on their van or not? Not really. I'm more concerned that they operate honestly, provide high-quality service and charge a fair price.

I know some atheists businessmen who would meet all of those criteria. Unfortunately, I know of some "Christian" businesses who have a reputation to the contrary.

So I'm not a big fan of the fish as an advertising gimmick, especially when it turns out to be false advertising. Which has got me thinking, "What does my life 'advertise' to those who are watching?"

Lord, help me never to be guilty of false advertising. Help me to live honestly and authentically, to always be who you created me to be. Amen.

1 comment:

Brian said...

I've noticed that almost all of the used car lots in our area use Bible verses or un-witty Christian sayings to lure in customers. I despise it.

FYI, if your blog is any indication, I think your life advertises LOVE.