Friday, March 28, 2008

Heaven on Earth

Today was awesome! My buddy, Larry, and I took a little road trip to do some reconnaissance for an upcoming men's outing. We went kayaking at Merchant's Millpond state park in North Carolina. It was surreal, almost other-worldly. The water was black and the old cypress trees were covered in Spanish moss. They looked like forlorn spinster maids, draped in faded and tattered veils.

The weather was perfect, 80 degrees and not a cloud in the sky. There was a gentle breeze...not too hot, or too cold--perfect. We paddled to a primitive campsite where we hope to take a group for an overnighter in a few weeks. From a small hill overlooking the water we took a break from padding. Sitting on a stump with the sun and slight breeze on my face, I took a bite of an apple (pinklady variety) and the juice dripped down my chin--heaven on earth.

I felt like Adam in the Garden of Eden, except I was there with Larry instead of my "Eve". Oh well, not quite perfect, but close. Very close.

2 comments:

Brian said...

LOL! I love it, although I doubt Eve ever had a beard like that.

Glad you had a great time. I happen to think that Spanish moss is incredibly beautiful, but I understand what you mean about it feeling "other-worldly."

FYI, my Google reader just updated and showed FIVE new posts from you. I don't know why it hasn't been updating, but my first thought was that you must have been writing all day! :)

"pastor" Jim Thompson said...

Google reader is not to blame (this time); I've been writing like a mad-man trying to catch up, post-dating entries to re-create the general time frame.
Sorry to throw you a curve...

JimT