Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Serendipity-Doo-Dah


I've been itching to go for a power-walk today, but kept getting detained by one unexpected event or another. Late afternoon, just as I laced up my shoes and opened the door, the rain began to pour. It didn't last long, so I soon had another chance. I turned on the Weather Channel to see the local Doppler radar and found that more showers were on the way, but a window of opportunity was available.

It was a small window. I found out just how small when I was just over half a mile from home and "the bottom fell out". Within seconds I was drenched. It felt gooooood.

I headed for the front porch of a nearby house. Had no clue who lived there. Had no clue if I'd be shot or not (hey, it happens around here), but thought I'd take a chance.

Just as I stepped into the yard I noticed her standing behind the Plexiglas storm door. I stopped short. Pointed to myself, then the porch, made a a little roof with my hands and then clasped them together as if to beg, "please".

She waved a cautious invitation. I told her I meant no harm, just wanted some cover until the rain let up. From the doorway she had been keeping vigil over a dove that had nested in a hanging basket on the eave of the porch. The wind blew the basket back and forth as the little mother covered the eggs in her nest.

As it turned out I made a new friend and found out her life story, struggles and deepest fears within the span of eight minutes. She and her husband have been married 50 years. He suffered a stroke a few years ago, and she lives to take care of him. Her biggest fear is that something will happen to her before he passes on, and he'll be at the mercy of strangers. She is lonely...and scared.

I promised her I'd check in on them often, and I can't wait to keep that promise. Had it not been for the rain I never would have met the sweet little lady with the big heart. I'd have hurried on by as usual. Thank God for unexpected showers.

2 comments:

Brian said...

You made me tear up. What a heart you have!

Darla said...

Another jeepers Pastor Jim warn a girl before you make her sob her eyes out.

You are truly one of a kind. God bless you.

P.S. My porch is always available.