Sunday, March 16, 2008

Half-Marathon Man


Wow, what a weekend! Virginia Beach hosted the Shamrock 8k on Saturday--sunny and 67 degrees--an absolutely beautiful day. The Half-Marathon on Sunday was a different story weather wise. It rained all night and tapered off just before daybreak.

The start was at 7:00a.m., pre-dawn. The temp was 49 degrees with a 25 mile head wind and a wind chill in the high thirties. The rain stopped, but with overcast skies the temperatures didn't climb much higher as the morning wore on.

Enough of the negative--the whole day was a blast! I finished the 13.1 miles and have the hardware to prove it.

For the Half-Marathon Race Walk there were 279 competitors; 41 men and 238 women. I came in 53rd overall and 11th among the men. My time was 3:03:28, a pace of 14:01/mile. Congrats to Joshua Dixon of Wilmington, NC who posted the winning time of 1:22:15 (6:17/mile) and Mary Lou Hoffman of Lockport, NY who led all the women and most of the guys at 1:58:53 (9:08/mile).

So I was a little off the leader's paces, but I'll take it. In training I usually work at 15 minute miles, or 4 miles per hour. So I was shocked at my pace. Nine months ago I was 73 pounds heavier and facing some extremely serious health problems. Today was graduation.

I am especially grateful to my family, and my online friends--Brian, Caroline and Darla--for your encouragement and support. Sham Rock On!

6 comments:

Brian said...

Way to go, Jim!!! Love the pics and I'm very proud of you for doing this.

"pastor" Jim Thompson said...

Thanks, man! I appreciate all your encouragement!
JimT

Darla said...

Yeehaw!!! Look at you!! Great job.

RAWK ON Brother Jim!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your graduation! I am certain your congregation is inspired and, hopefully, challenged by your example.

Anonymous said...

Sorry for the slow response!! CONGRATULATIONS! nice hardward! You look WAY too happy in that picture where you are running. :) Seriously though, fantastic job...when is the next race? :)