Thursday, March 13, 2008

Driving My Dog Crazy

So I was working out of the home office this morning--catching up on correspondence, doing research for sermon preparation, and getting some thoughts together for an upcoming funeral (there have been a lot of those lately).

I got a wild idea. I had a turkey thawing in the fridge--a 15 pound Butterball--and decided to go ahead and cook it up. So at 9:30am the bird went in the oven--325 degrees for 3 and a half hours.

The incredible smell along with the sizzling sound was driving my dog crazy. Whining and salivating, he was beside himself with anticipation. It was pretty, and the best tasting turkey I think I've ever eaten. Not bad for a first try, if I do say so myself.

To all the folks at Butterball--thank you; thank you very much!

4 comments:

Darla said...

You've never cooked a turkey before?

God bless your wife! =)

"pastor" Jim Thompson said...

First time. Growing up my mom cooked the turkey, and we only had it at Thanksgiving--one time a year.

After getting married, same thing, once or twice a year at holidays and my wife cooked it.

So, for me, this was the first time to cook a whole turkey bird all by myself--and no special occasion, just because I love turkey and didn't want to wait until November.

Darla said...

Good for you!

Are you a good carver or did it look like a picked apart bird?

"pastor" Jim Thompson said...

I am an excellent carver and take great pride in the aesthetic presentation of every meal--the food should look great and taste great, the company and conversation should be engaging with generous amounts of laughter--then even sharing PB&Js is a joyous event.