Saturday, March 22, 2008

Elementary Assembly


I was asked to lead an assembly at a local christian school. An interesting and unique opportunity. The challenge was to explain Easter from a cultural perspective without proselytizing. So we talked about springtime and seasons. We talked about candy and the easter bunny.

I had some dyed eggs to share. I cracked a pretty pink one, peeled off the shell and shared it with a couple of second graders (yes, I washed my hands first). I then cracked a beautiful teal colored egg. "Yuk!" the children exclaimed as the yolk and white of a raw egg emerged. "Oops! I forgot to cook that one".

The third egg, a bright yellow one, was cracked open to gasps and "oooh"s as there was nothing inside. Empty. Just a shell. (I had dyed it, then made a little pin-hole in each end and blown out the yolk). "That's what Easter is all about", I said. "Some women who followed a man named Jesus went to his grave and were amazed to find it empty". "Many people believe he came back to life, others think the body was stolen by his followers who started the rumor that he was alive". "That is what Easter is really all about. For around 2000 years Christians have been celebrating that event".

I thought I had done a pretty good job: creative, engaging, high praise from the teachers.
Then as the children were exiting I heard one say to another, "so on Easter a long time ago Jesus opened his egg, but the Easter Bunny forgot to put anything inside..."

*sigh*

No comments: