Tuesday, June 5, 2007

June 5: Spinning Wheels

He was stuck. Life had become a rut, an endless cycle of predictable and unfulfilling routine. Wheels constantly spinning but never going anywhere. Sound familiar? Statistics show that the majority of Americans dislike their jobs, feel stuck, under-challenged, unappreciated and unfulfilled.

God will take us on an incredible, fulfilling adventure as we follow His will and learn His plan for our lives. “For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” (Jeremiah 29:11)

I don’t remember the speaker. He was at a conference in Richmond a couple of years ago. But I will never forget the teaching about living into God’s future and living a rut-less life:

The Bible teaches us that “without faith it is impossible to please God,” (Hebrews 11:6) Without trusting Him and obeying Him we can’t bring Him pleasure. What does faith feel like? It feels like risk. When we are following Him we are out of our comfort zone, eyes wind open, wind-in-the-face, uncertain, heart-pounding, fully alive—and totally dependent on Him. It’s scary and exciting all at the same time.

Jesus said, “My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me.” (John 10:27) “Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit.” (Galatians 5:25)

God speaks, we step. God speaks, we step. That’s the pattern. Learning to listen for the voice of God takes patience and practice. Learning to follow what He shows us takes trust and courage. It’s dangerous. It’s life-altering. It’s the only way to really live.

~ Father, help me to discern your voice in the midst of all the noise. Give me the courage to trust and obey. Amen.

No comments: