Saturday, June 16, 2007

June 16: Sight for Blind Eyes

“Jesus went to Nazareth, where he had been brought up, and on the Sabbath day he went into the synagogue, as was his custom. And he stood up to read. The scroll of the prophet Isaiah was handed to him. Unrolling it, he found the place (61:1-2) where it is written:
"The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to release the oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor."
(Luke 4:16-19)

My friend and colleague Henry, who is 80+ years old and blind in his left eye, had eye surgery this week. His account:

“After 10 hours in hospital I was released and then had to go back on Thursday for the removal of the huge eye patch which covered half my face. That rally got a lot of attention when we went to Wendy's for supper.
The result of the surgery, which had three doctors in attendance and assisting along with 8 others helping, It was my joy to find that I have had up to 75% of my usable sight restored and the hope of the surgeon is that the retina will rebuild itself overtime; If not, there may be more surgery later.
I want to than all those who were praying for me during this time. Two men set the time apart and prayed during the time set for surgery. Several others made a pledge to pray during the day. This is what brought about there return of so much sight. Tell everyone I appreciate their caring concern in this. God loves you and we love you too."


Wow! Having one’s sight restored is phenomenal! That’s amazing. Jesus said that basically we all need our sight restored and He came to do that. Not our physical sight, although there are many accounts of Jesus doing that, but our spiritual sight. Jesus’ desire was that we would see the things of God clearly: His purposes and priorities. God wants us to become passionate about the things which He is passionate. .

In the Book of Revelation Jesus has a message to each of seven churches. "To the angel of the church in Laodicea write:
'These are the words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the ruler of God's creation. I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other!

So, because you are lukewarm--neither hot nor cold--I am about to spit you out of my mouth. You say, 'I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.' But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked. I counsel you to buy from me gold refined in the fire, so you can become rich; and white clothes to wear, so you can cover your shameful nakedness; and salve to put on your eyes, so you can see.

Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest, and repent. Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me.

To him who overcomes, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne, just as I overcame and sat down with my Father on his throne. He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches." (Revelation 3:14-22)

Some say that it as apt description for the church in America today: rich and without need, but lukewarm and spiritually poor, blind and naked—pitiful. Jesus encourages the church to open the door and let Him in! To buy eye salve from Him so we can see. See what? The things that matter most to God because we’ve become distracted and side-tracked with temporary and material things.

Jesus is the Great Physician; he always wants to correct our hearing and eyesight. In spiritual terms, what does that look like in your life?

~ Father, help me to open the door and let you in to make a house call. Restore my spiritual sight and hearing to perceive things from Your point of view. Amen.

No comments: