Sunday, June 10, 2007

June 10: I’m Lovin’ it!

“Last year at school I fell in love with Bible class.” On Awards Day at my son’s school the young lady told her story as to how she enjoyed learning about the Bible for the first time. She spoke of an energetic teacher who used creative teaching methods to make the stories come alive.

“But this year”, she continued, “I fell in love with the Bible.” She spoke of how this ancient text still spoke with relevance to her circumstances today. She spoke of the people whom God used over the centuries to write, translate and protect—sometimes with their own lives—these sacred texts. She spoke of how she could “feel” and “hear” those things that matter most to God.

As she spoke it became evident as well that she had come to love the God that the Bible reveals.
“All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man (or women) of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work." (2 Timothy 3:16-17)

The longest chapter in the Book of Psalms consists of 176 verses extolling the virtues and value of God’s word. A sampling:

9 How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to your word.

11 I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.
18 Open my eyes that I may see wonderful things in your law.
89 Your word, O LORD, is eternal; it stands firm in the heavens.
97 Oh, how I love your law! I meditate on it all day long.
98 Your commands make me wiser than my enemies, for they are ever with me.
103 How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth!
104 I gain understanding from your precepts; therefore I hate every wrong path.
105 Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path.

This young woman has come to appreciate, value and even love the word of God much like the ancient song-writer had. I sat there finding myself envious. As one who has given his life to studying and teaches the Bible, often with great frequency, I must admit that sometimes it becomes mechanical and routine.

“For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.” (Hebrews 4:12)

~ Father, help me to hear your word afresh. God, daily renew my passion and excitement about hearing You speak through your Word. Amen.

No comments: