Friday, June 15, 2007

June 15: Fatherly Advice

I miss my Dad. He passed away just over five years ago, and with Father’s Day coming up he’s been on my mind a lot this week. We shared a love for baseball and gospel music. I miss his advice, his wisdom. I would give just about anything to argue politics and catch a Rangers game with him.

I’ve been reminiscing about him and some of the lessons he passed along, both intentional and accidental. I am reminded of the Book of Proverbs, wise sayings, where the father is reminding his son of what matters most:

“My son, do not forget my teaching, but keep my commands in your heart, for they will prolong your life many years and bring you prosperity. (So “live long and prosper” wasn’t original with Mr. Spock)

Let love and faithfulness never leave you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart. Then you will win favor and a good name in the sight of God and man.

Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.

Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the LORD and shun evil. This will bring health to your body and nourishment to your bones.

Honor the LORD with your wealth, with the firstfruits of all your crops; then your barns will be filled to overflowing, and your vats will brim over with new wine.

My son, do not despise the LORD's discipline and do not resent his rebuke, because the LORD disciplines those he loves, as a father the son he delights in.” (Proverbs 3:1-12)

My favorite part is “Let love and faithfulness never leave you”; those two things always seem to be in short supply in our world. Faithfulness: dependable, reliable, worthy of another’s trust. If, when people think of you these are the first two words to come to mind then you’re living life on the right track.

To be known as a man who loves people and who is faithful, who is true to his word, who is loyal to a fault…you can’t do much better than that. How do you want to be remembered by those closest to you?

~ Father, thank you for the gift of a Dad who taught lessons of lasting value. Help me to honor my Dad by putting into practice the best of what he passed on to me. Amen.

1 comment:

Brian said...

Beautiful post and verses. I'm sure that this is a rather difficult time of the year for you.

"How do you want to be remembered by those closest to you? "

The things you mentioned are definitely good choices, but I also hope that I can make a difference in the lives of others. Whether it's changing someone's perspective on an issue or helping my elderly neighbor change a light bulb, I want to have an impact on the world around me.

I like the new look to your blog. ;)