Monday, June 18, 2007

June 18: Physical Therapy, Day 1

"As Jesus and his disciples were leaving Jericho, a large crowd followed him. Two blind men were sitting by the roadside, and when they heard that Jesus was going by, they shouted, "Lord, Son of David, have mercy on us!" The crowd rebuked them and told them to be quiet, but they shouted all the louder, "Lord, Son of David, have mercy on us!" Jesus stopped and called them. "What do you want me to do for you?" he asked. "Lord," they answered, "we want our sight." Jesus had compassion on them and touched their eyes. Immediately they received their sight and followed him." Matt 20:29-34 (NIV)

Today I am hopeful. The doctor has seen the x-rays and hopefully passed them on to the Physical Therapist. A week of muscle relaxers, pain killers, anti-inflammatories and heating pads. No lifting, anything, not even a newspaper. No driving. This past week stunk. I had many things to do and several people I needed to see. Confined. Grounded. Rest. Rust. That was last week.

So like the guys sitting beside the road in the above story, I’m waiting with hopeful anticipation.

What do you do, spiritually, when you’re in an unwanted “holding pattern”?

You can wait graciously or obnoxiously. You can wait with patience or impatience. I choose grace and patience.

3 comments:

Was said...

What do you do, spiritually, when you’re in an unwanted “holding pattern”?

Good Question--Right now, I am spiritually frustrated. I hope you got my email (if not I posted it on my blog). This spiritual holding pattern I have been on for the last THREE YEARS is about to come to an end. I have failed to spiritually seek God, until now that is. I am wondering if I am about to become radical? A radical Christian that only has Christ on his mind....that would be a change :)

Brian said...

I've had some experience with being confined over the past several months and I know how frustrating it can be. I can't really claim to have grown spiritually during those times, but they did provide a nice opportunity to look around and be thankful for those people that helped me through the rough times.

I didn't know you were having health problems, but will be sending good vibes your way and lifting you in prayer.

"pastor" Jim Thompson said...

inrepair,

thanks for the prayers and good vibes. My situation's not too bad, just threw my back out last Sunday--thaings are getting old and crumbly in middle age. Need to lose some weight and do some flexibility/stretching exercises.

A week's long enough. I can't imagine being confined for months--or years. Makes of appreciative of abilities and people often taken for granted.

JimT