Monday, June 4, 2007

June 4: First Things First

I’m back. Yes, these daily devotionals, or inspirational ramblings, or whatever they are will continue; although, for a while I wasn’t so sure. I seriously considered discontinuing this endeavor and shutting down the blogsite. The problem was I was spending too much time in front of screens, be it computer or TV, and not enough time involved in face-to-face relationships with human beings.

Part of it was avoidance on my part, the old procrastination demon, and not wanting to deal with some of the people and issues in my life. The excuse of “having to do some work on the computer” was just a smoke screen. Do you ever do that? Feign a heavy work-load or other obligations to put off and avoid what really needs your attention? Nah, I’m the only one, right?

Anyway, I have spent the last few days re-connecting with people. Real life, flesh and blood, complicated and sometimes frustrating, people whom God loves dearly and for whom Jesus died. People. When it comes down to it relationships are what matter most (see blog for April 23). Why is it God has to repeat the same lessons over and over and we are so slow to “get it”?

So the last few days this site has been silent while I’ve been trying to put first things first. Friday I spent the morning talking with my friends who were having a tough week (see May 31 blog). Saturday we had “Summer Fest ‘07”, a big carnival type event that our church gives to the community free of charge. It was a blast and we made lots of new friends. I overdid it and the back is out of whack once again. I think it’s time to make friends with a chiropractor.

People matter most. I often get so wrapped up in my thing-to-do-list, so task-oriented, that I forget to put people first. I was reminded yesterday by my friend Steve that we are human BEINGS not human DOINGS. Maybe you see yourself in these reflections. People matter most and people, not things or activity, need the best of us—the best of our time and energy.

"Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" Jesus replied: "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments." (Matthew 22:36-40)

Who do you know that could benefit from your undivided attention today? Let’s you and I push back from the screen now and put first things, I mean people, first.

~ Father, thanks for the reminder that people are always your highest priority. Help my life to reflect that. Amen.

1 comment:

Josh B. said...

Awesome ideas PJ, I had no idea that you maintained one of these. Anyways, I'm sick today so I decided to go ahead and actually work with mine. I know you've been wanting to see my journal for a while, so I'll be sure to post everything I can on this and accomodate your request!! Anyways, as far as this entry goes, I truly feel ya. With myspace and facebook and all of this online stuff to get our ideas out, we sometimes bend and forget what reality looks like. Not friends on a screen, but the people who are sitting on the other side of them.
It's a strange comparison, but I guess you could call Jesus our "computer" who allows us to be the friends of God.
"If you know Me, you will also know My Father. From now on you do know Him and have seen Him."
-John 14:7