Thursday, June 28, 2007

June 28: Crazy About ‘Heroes’

My daughter is crazy about “Heroes”. The TV show has soared in popularity. Ordinary looking young adults possess extraordinary powers. All it takes is the mention of the word 'hero'--not even in the context of the small-screen drama—just the mention of the word and she is energetically talking about the different plots and characters and their powers to talk to machines, or regenerate or absorb other heroes’ powers. She is a fanatic about the show.

So I was thinking about people who claim to have “met Jesus”; to have had some kind of personal encounter with the resurrected and still-living Son of God. In the Bible, in the Book of First Peter, chapter two it talks of
people’s reaction to Jesus. For many he is a stumbling block and for others he is a stepping stone to forgiveness, freedom and a relationship with God.

"As you come to Jesus, the living Stone--rejected by men but chosen by God and precious to him-- you also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house… Now to you who believe, this stone is precious. But to those who do not believe, this “stone” causes men to stumble, this “rock” makes then to fall. They stumble because they disobey the message--which is also what they were destined for.

But then Peter goes on to describe those who believe in and follow Jesus:

9 But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the Excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. 10 Once you were not a people, but now you are the people of God; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy."
(1 Peter 2:4-10)

It’s that phrase, “declare the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light” that has me thinking about my daughter and her enthusiasm for a television show. That’s how true Christ-followers are: at the mention of his name there is this bubbly excitement where they begin to talk about who Jesus is and what Jesus has done. They can’t help themselves; It’s not scripted are manufactured, it just bubbles out of them.

That kind of enthusiasm is contagious. I’ve never seen “Heroes”, but I can’t wait for the next episode. Why? Because of my daughter’s enthusiasm. She’s got me curious. I want to see for myself.

That’s what happens as people who’ve had a life-changing encounter with Jesus serve other people, meet needs and talk about Him: our enthusiasm breeds curiosity—people want to see Jesus for themselves.

~ Father, thank you for calling me out of the darkness in which I used to live. As I declare your “excellencies”, may my enthusiasm breed a divine curiosity in the hearts of others. Amen.

No comments: