Sunday, May 27, 2007

May 28: In Memory

Today is Memorial Day—set aside in this nation for those who gave their lives in military duty to this country. It originally began to honor those who lost their lives during the Civil War, then expanded to include those whose sacrifices helped secure victory during World War 1. Now it includes all those who have “made the ultimate sacrifice” and given their lives in service to the United States of America.

I realize that not everyone reading this is an American. I am—and proud to be such. I am appreciative and grateful to our men and women in uniform. I have had a family member killed by an IED in Iraq. Other family members have served this great nation through the years. Today is their day. We are indebted beyond measure to our military personnel.

Today I will hang out with friends and family, grill some delicious food and take a dip in the pool. All the while there are men and women serving this country, separated from loved ones, living with the daily threat of death. I feel guilty for enjoying today's pleasures at their expense. Some will rationalize that they chose their career path. Yes, they did. May God bless them for their choice.

I don’t know where you stand politically, what your feeling are about the war in Iraq or the fight on terrorism. This is not intended to be a political statement at all. I’m simply asking you who are Americans to take a moment today and remember our troops. Find a way to show gratitude and say “thank you” for those who serve us in this way. Say a prayer for those who serve abroad. Pray for their safety and their families and their quick return home.

I also realize that God is not an American and certainly not tied to our military or political agenda. But I also recognize that God IS, and that He has blessed us. While I’m praying for my country I also want to pray for all the people whom God loves, from all nations. I want to pray not only for my leaders but the leaders from other countries as well. I pray that God’s will would be known and His wisdom would prevail.


You are forgiving and good, O Lord,
abounding in love to all who call to you.
Hear my prayer, O LORD;
listen to my cry for mercy.
In the day of my trouble I will call to you,
for you will answer me.

Among the gods there is none like you, O Lord;
no deeds can compare with yours.
All the nations you have made
will come and worship before you, O Lord;
they will bring glory to your name.
For you are great and do marvelous deeds;
you alone are God. Psalms 86:5-10

~ Father, help me to be grateful for those who sacrifice on my behalf. Lord, make yourself known among the nations. Amen.

No comments: