Friday, May 25, 2007

May 25: Title Addicts

Then Jesus said to the crowds and to his disciples: "The teachers of the law and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat. So you must obey them and do everything they tell you. But do not do what they do, for they do not practice what they preach. They tie up heavy loads and put them on men's shoulders, but they themselves are not willing to lift a finger to move them. "Everything they do is done for men to see: They make their phylacteries wide and the tassels on their garments long; they love the place of honor at banquets and the most important seats in the synagogues; they love to be greeted in the marketplaces and to have men call them 'Rabbi.' (Matthew 23:1-7)

I’m not much for titles. Or pedestals. I have a friend who possesses certificates and degrees, and who enjoys having titles before his name and letters behind it. He demands that people refer to him as “reverend” or “doctor”—he’s earned it. I can’t help thinking of the words of Jesus. He was one who wasn’t much into titles and pedestals. He preferred humility and service. His favorite title, one He wore with honor, was “Son of Man” which was incredibly humble considering whose son He really is.

It’s sad. Our egos have such gargantuan appetites. "Lord, keep me focused on others and not on myself. Help me to feed souls and not my own ego. Help me find my security in you so my insecurities don’t drive my actions. Amen."

No comments: