Tuesday, May 15, 2007

May 15: True North

I love being outdoors--kayaking, hiking and camping. So in preparation for some upcoming adventures I was brushing up on my orienteering skills. "True North" is a phrase I love. The spiritual connotations of having one's direction correctly set, having one's soul aligned with the Creator's will.

The Apostle Paul had his "internal compass" rightly aligned:

"Jesus died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again." (2 Corinthians 5:15)

For whom, or what, am I living? That's a question that needs to be asked daily.

Thomas O. Chisholm penned the lyrics to a popular Christian hymn which rightly answers the question and keeps me headed "True North".

Living for Jesus a life that is true,
Striving to please Him in all that I do;
Yielding allegiance, glad-hearted and free,
This is the pathway of blessing for me.

O Jesus, Lord and Savior, I give myself to Thee;
For Thou, in Thine atonement, didst give Thyself for me;
I own no other Master, my heart shall be Thy throne;
My life I give, henceforth to live, O Christ, for Thee alone.

For whom, or what, are you living? What motivates you? What would Jesus think of your answer?

~ Father, aim me today, for your glory. Amen.

1 comment:

Was said...

I was just pondering a similar thought on my blog. The worries of today got to me this week and I struggled.

I pray I will seek His safety the next time I am overwhelmed. He is who I should live for, not this world.

God Bless you Jim

was