Friday, May 11, 2007

May 11: Heart Song

Last night my son was in a choral and band concert. They did quite well. Having endured, I mean attended, many middle school music events over the years, I was pleasantly surprised to find the quality of the presentation quite impressive. I found myself in an unplanned worship experience, thanking God for beautiful music.

I officiated at a funeral service, a “homegoing celebration” for a 91-year-old woman who went to be with the Lord. Her entire life she was known for singing. Whether washing dishes or picking cotton or knitting—she was always singing or humming a gospel tune. She didn’t have a soloist's voice, but she certainly had the heart. She couldn’t keep from singing. God had put a song in her heart.

I don’t know what I’d do without music. But it’s not just music that I love. There is lots of music, much of it noise. God is the source of my song. He changed my tune…for the better. King David of Israel wrote many songs; sometimes full of angst and fear, sometimes lyrics overflowing with joy, but always coming around to give praise to God. God put a song in his heart:

“The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song.” (Psalms 28:7)

“He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the LORD.”
(Psalms 40:3)

The Christ-followers I hang out with sometimes sing a song entitled, “He Keeps Me Singing”. He put a new song in our hearts and in our mouths. And He sustains the song. No matter what the circumstances or challenge, He keeps us singing.

Do you have a song? What is the source of your song? Who is your audience?

~ Father, give me a new song today, and I’ll return it back to You as an act of worship. Amen.

No comments: