Wednesday, May 2, 2007

May 2: Song of Thanks

The Twenty-Third Psalm is one of the most beautiful pieces of literature in all of history. This song, written by King David of Israel over 3,000 years ago, is all about giving thanks to God. It is the explosive expression of a grateful heart. If David did our Ledger Exercise (see May 1 blog) this is a peek at what would be on his list…

The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not wantthank you God for meeting all my needs.

He makes me to lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside still waters, he restores my soulthank you God for nourishing my body and my spirit.

He leads me in the paths of righteousness for his name sakethank you God for giving me wisdom and courage to make decisions that please you.

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil for you are with methank you God for your presence and your peace.

Your rod and staff they comfort methank you God for your protection and your discipline.

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemiesthank you God for vindicating me, for blessing me as I honor you.

You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflowsthank you God for your abundant blessings.

Surely goodness and mercy will follow me all the days of my lifethank you God for your constant care, your patience and your forgiveness.

And I will dwell in the house of the Lord foreverthank you God that death is not the end of the road, just a bend in the road. Thank you for meeting my eternal needs as well as me everyday needs.


~ Father, thank you, thank you, thank you! Amen.

1 comment:

Was said...

I love this Psalm, yet the only time I hear it read is at funerals. The truth is, Psalm 23 is about life, our relationship with our God! May it give life to the full as Jesus reminds us in John 10:10