Tuesday, July 24, 2007

July24: Vacation Bible School for Big Kids

When I was a child one of our biggest highlights of the summer, and source of some of my most treasured memories, was Vacation Bible School at a church near our home. For two weeks our mornings were filled with Bible stories and snacks, kickball and Red Rover, making neat craft items to take home to Mom, learning new and fun songs, and hearing stories about missionaries in strange, exciting, far-away places.

Although the kids loved the two-week format, it pushed the adults to limits of their patience and physical endurance. Most churches that do VBS nowadays only go for a week at a time. But the tradition continues in many churches, and what a wonderful tradtion it is! I haven't posted anything on this site for a few days because our time has been consumed with preparing for, and leading, vacation bible school.

This year we have a sports theme and we are having a blast! My wife, Kim, and I were "recruited" to "coach" the Adult VBS "team"--we are the Bears. Vacation Bible School is not just for children, it's for "big kids", too! There are a few middle-aged folks, but for the most part our "team" is made up of the AARP crowd--retired people who are living out their second childhood with unrestrained joy.

When people hear that we offer Adult VBS the typical reaction is, "How cute!" After this week, there's no other class I'd rather teach. We do the whole sha-bang: crafts, snacks, motion songs. My favorite part is still the Bible stories. Watching eyes widen, or tears flow, when the TRUTH of God and His love for us really hits home.

I remember back to my childhood; it was at VBS where I first really "got it" that God is real, that He created me with purpose, that He loves me without reservation. When I think about it, Bible School changed my life--or better said, I encountered God at vacation bible school and He changed my life!

Find a VBS in your neighborhood and join the fun. Volunteer to pour juice, or play games or maybe even be a student. Whatever role you play you will have a blast--VBS is for "big kids", too. You never know, you might even meet God there, and it might even change your life.

4 comments:

Brian said...

Our church doesn't have many kiddies, so we are having VBS for adults next week. I think it will be fun.

Hope you enjoy yourself!!

Was said...

interesting posting. I am here with watering eyes as I think of the memories I failed to gain at VBS during my childhood. I am thankful that God has placed a burden on my heart for my children to constantly be around Godly events. Thanks for being my mentor as I struggle through my journey.

PS When do we start the PEACE Plan at Raleigh Heights?

"pastor" Jim Thompson said...

inrepair,

I am thrilled to hear it! I hope you have a blast. I pray the studies will be deep and enriching, and that you all make time to let your "inner child" come out and play.

Can't wait to hear about it!
JimT

"pastor" Jim Thompson said...

Was,

What's wonderful is that God has a way of reclaiming what was lost, I think the Bible refers to it as "restoring what the locusts have eaten."

As you teach the teens, and as your children experience VBS this week, you get to be a part of it and see it through their eyes. Savor every moment.

You are a good and Godly dad. Stay engaged in the struggle. It is my pleasure to share the journey with you.

JimT