Sunday, July 8, 2007

July 8: Mending Fences

I spent some time yesterday mending fences. We have our back yard fenced in so our dog can run and play. This past week we had the “tree people” come to grind up the stumps of 13 old pine trees that were removed a few months ago.

To get their equipment into the yard I had to remove several fence panels and posts. So the “tree people” completed their job and moved on to other projects. I’ve been busy (and lazy) and just dropped the post into the hole and leaned the fence panels up—“I’ll get to it later”, I told myself.

The winds kept blowing over the fence panels, and I’d prop them up again, promising to fix it right when I had more time. I found time after one of the panels blew over onto the front of my wife’s van. :)

But as I was replacing the fence I thought about mending other fences; relationships that have been neglected or strained. I have to take responsibility, and I can't put it off.

Jesus taught about this. He said, "Therefore, if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother has something against you, leave your gift there in front of the altar. First go and be reconciled to your brother; then come and offer your gift." (Matthew 5:23-24)

If everything boils down to loving God with all my heart and loving others as I love myself then I can’t dodge the principle here—I can’t really worship God in a meaningful way UNTIL the other relationships are made right…and I can’t make those relationships right without God’s help.

Jesus also taught, "If your brother sins against you, go and show him his fault, just between the two of you. If he listens to you, you have won your brother over.” (Matthew 18:15)

Once again, I have to take responsibility; I can’t wait for the other guy to make the first move. Whether I am the one who was offended or the one doing the offending, as one who follows the Way of Jesus I have to take responsibility for the relationship.

So it's time to make a couple of phone calls and go around the corner and see a friend. The fence in the backyard's not the only one needing a little attention.

How about you; any relationships in your life that need a little mending?

1 comment:

Brian said...

I've got a few fences that might need a coat of paint, at least. ;)

Hope your wife's van is okay.