Thursday, July 26, 2007

July 26: Judgmental Christians

An on-line friend was recently sharing how a person in his life,, and visitors to his website, disapprove of his "lifestyle". Leaving letters at his home and harsh messages on his blog, they warn of God's judgment in very harsh tones.

He writes,“Even though these attempts by others to make me see the error of my ways may be out of true concern, I am being disrespected in the process." He observes that, "No one else is responsible for my soul, except me… It’s ludicrous for anyone to assume that I’m not concerned about my soul or where I’m going when I die…One thing that really bothers me is how my rejection of this type of behavior is sure to be spun as my rejection of God.”

He hits the nail on the head--I've met some of those christians who believe that if you reject their "tactics" you are rejecting God.

After reading his blog I spent a lot of time reflecting on the story of the Apostle Peter and Cornelius, a Roman soldier in command of a hundred men (see Acts, Chapter 10). God had to work on Peter to get him past his lifelong-held religious convictions and prejudices to realize that God could work in the heart of someone Peter considered “unclean”, impure, unholy, unacceptable.

Cornelius was a Gentile. “He was rigtheous and God-fearing; he gave generously to those in need and prayed to God regularly.” (Acts 10:2) He was a good man who was chasing after God, desperately wanting to know the truth and to get it right.

When Peter arrived at Cornelius’ home he said, “You are well aware that it is against our law for a Jew to associate with a Gentile or visit him. But God has shown me that I should not call any man impure or unclean. (Acts 10:28) Peter became a law-breaker in order to befriend Cornelius. He also realized that he was wrong in judging certain people as unacceptable to God.

Many Christians need to learn the lesson that God taught Peter. Well-intentioned Christians would have a lot more impact if we just focued on loving and accepting people, trying to help people move a few steps closer to understanding, loving and obeying God, and leave the convicting and judging of sin up to Him.

It is more effective in the long run, and more Christ-like in the process. “God has shown me that I should not call any man impure or unclean” or unacceptable. There are whole groups of people that many Christians reject as "unacceptable and unworthy."

Well intentioned Christians seeking to "share the truth in love" come across as neither truthful or loving. I pray that Christians everywhere can better learn to show genuine concern and respect in the process of sharing our beliefs. And remember that following Jesus is a process, a journey, and God is at work in people’s hearts.

We would do more good if we helped people progress on the journey toward knowing, loving an obeying God rather that condemning them for not yet having arrived at the destination.


Peace,

PJ

2 comments:

Brian said...

PJ,

I've tried to come up with a meaningful response to this post, but keep coming up empty-handed.

I don't know what else to say, except "thank you" - for being a good friend, a brave man, and an inspiring Christian.

"pastor" Jim Thompson said...

Thank you, inrepair.
I like your username; I am "in repair" too, in many ways.

PJT