Monday, April 23, 2007

Apr. 23: What Matters Most

I have struggled with questions and a range of emotions this week in the wake of the slayings of 32 people, students and teachers, at VA Tech this week by a fellow student who then took his own life. Why? How could God allow something like this to happen? You’ve probably had similar questions.

Students want to know if something like this could happen at their school. Parents who’ve entrusted their children to school officials question whether or not enough is being done to keep them secure. Teachers wonder if the quiet, sullen kid in their class might be a ticking time bomb.

Older adults, who grew up sleeping with the windows open and the doors unlocked, wonder what has happened to the country they knew—this new America if plagued with drugs, saturated with sex and violence, and rife with racial tensions. Survivors wonder why they were spared and the person next to them lost their life.

The Bible has an answer for what’s going on—but we don’t like to hear it. When Adam and Eve partook of the tree that God has said was off limits, the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil, they brought evil into the world. The Apostle Peter wrote to persecuted Christians (he himself was martyred for the faith, crucified upside down) and told them,”the end of all things is near.” (1 Peter 4:7) Jesus said there would be wars and rumors of wars, natural disasters (do the words Katrina and tsunami ring a bell?) and increased violence, and that things would get worse before they get better.

We try to make sense of what seem to be senseless circumstances. So “the end or all things is near”, so what are we supposed to do? If you knew that today were your last, how would that effect how you live today? Would you live differently? What would you change?

The first thing Peter says to do is pray, which has to do with our relationship with God; "be clear minded and self-controlled so that you can pray." (1 Peter 4:7)

The second thing is to “love each other deeply and overcome each other's sins with love.” (1 Peter 4:8) This is the most important thing because he begins with “above all”. Love each other and forgive each other. Relationships matter most, so love like there’s no tomorrow.

Then he says, “offer hospitality to one another without grumbling." (1 Peter 4:9) Since today might be your last open your heart and home and have someone over to share a meal! Relationships matter most, so love like there’s no tomorrow.

The last thing: "Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others." (1 Peter 4:10) Use your gift to serve those around you because the end is near. Relationships matter most, so love like there’s no tomorrow.

It might surprise you how mundane and generic all these things are. They all have to do with relationship. Today might be your last so talk to God, love and forgive people, have some folks over for dinner, and serve others. Relationships matter most, so love like there’s no tomorrow.

A couple of years ago County music singer/songwriter Tim McGraw recorded the song “Live Like You Were Dying”:

He said I was in my early 40's,With a lot of life before me,
When a moment came and stopped me on a dime.
I spent most of the next days,Lookin' at the x-rays,
And talkin' 'bout the options & talkin' 'bout sweet time
I asked him when it sank in,This might really be the real end,
How's it hit you,When you get that kinda news? Man whatcha do?

He said I was finally the husband,That most the time I wasn't.
And I became a friend a friend would like to have.
And all a sudden goin' fishin',Wasn't such an imposition,
And I went 3 times that year I lost my Dad.
Well I, I finally read the good book,And I, took a good long hard look,
At what I'd do if I could do it all againAnd then...

I went sky divin'I went Rocky Mountain climbin'
I went 2 point 7 seconds on a bull named Fu Man Chu
And I loved deeper,And I spoke sweeter,
And I gave forgiveness I'd been denyin'
And he said someday I hope you get the chance,
To Live Like You Were Dying

~ Father, help me to realize that relationships matter most, so I need to love like there’s no tomorrow. Amen.

No comments: