Thursday, April 19, 2007

Apr. 19: Who’s Your Daddy?

The question of paternity has been in the news a lot lately. The baby of Anna Nicole Smith (this is the first and last time I will reference this story in this blog) was the center of international inquiry and endless hours of “news” coverage with interminable debate and speculation on “who’s that baby’s daddy?”

I have a dog who things I’m his daddy. The older I get the more I look like my own Dad. Genetics and heredity can sometimes be unsettling and even scary things. The body shape, the movements, the temperament. I come across pictures of my father when he was my age and can’t tell if it’s him or me.

In Jesus’ day there was much importance given to spiritual paternity. The religious leaders took great pride, and rightly so, in being “Sons of Abraham.” John the Baptizer had some pretty unpopular things to say to them, “But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees coming to where he was baptizing, he said to them: "You brood of vipers! Who warned you to flee from the coming wrath? Produce fruit in keeping with repentance. And do not think you can say to yourselves, 'We have Abraham as our father.' I tell you that out of these stones God can raise up children for Abraham. The ax is already at the root of the trees, and every tree that does not produce good fruit will be cut down and thrown into the fire.” (Matthew 3:7-10)

Jesus later clarified their spiritual paternity: "If you were Abraham's children," said Jesus, "then you would do the things Abraham did. As it is, you are determined to kill me, a man who has told you the truth that I heard from God. Abraham did not do such things. You are doing the things your own father does." "We are not illegitimate children," they protested. "The only Father we have is God himself."

Jesus said to them, "If God were your Father, you would love me, for I came from God and now am here. I have not come on my own; but he sent me. Why is my language not clear to you? Because you are unable to hear what I say. You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father's desire. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies. Yet because I tell the truth, you do not believe me! Can any of you prove me guilty of sin? If I am telling the truth, why don't you believe me? He who belongs to God hears what God says. The reason you do not hear is that you do not belong to God." (John 8:31-47; for kicks read through to verse 59)

When Jesus was tempted in the wilderness following His baptism Satan always referred to Him as the “Son of God.” (Matthew 4) When Jesus healed demon-possessed individuals the fleeing demons identified Jesus as “the Son of God.” (Matthew 8) Jesus disciples came to see Him and identify Him as “the Son of God.” (Matthew 14:13, 16:16) Jesus taught, “Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God. (Matthew 5:9)

Who’s your daddy? For whom do you live? Whom do you resemble? To whom do you answer? Some folks’ modus operandi is twisting the truth, murdering other’s reputations and self-preservation. Others live to make peace and walk in obedience to God at all costs. Genetics is a peculiar thing—the older we get the more we resemble the one with whom we share the same DNA.

~ Father, I want to love You with all my heart, soul, mind and strength. More and more, day after day, help me to know You, follow You and resemble You and Your Son. In attitude and action may there never be a question as to my spiritual paternity. Amen.

1 comment:

Was said...

Jesus tells us that if we love Him, we shall follow His commands. That is a powerful thought when we think about how Christian leaders and their followers act. Is our Daddy the living God in Heaven, or is he a demagogue calling for division, hate, or other ungodly things.

We are to remember, Jesus called us to operate out of love and no other agenda...that is how I know if some one is God's child