Sunday, April 22, 2007

Apr. 22: An Anchored Soul

I love to kayak. Sometimes we get to head out to the western part of Virginia, out near the mountains, and play in some "white-water". Mostly we’re in the Tidewater area or in North Carolina on flat-water. We paddle around the shipyards and big tankers in Norfolk Harbor and my friend Larry even paddled around the battleship U.S.S. Wisconsin which is anchored at the Nauticus Museum.

One of the things astounding about these ships is their sheer size, and being next to one in a kayak puts things in a unique perspective. The anchors are monstrous; which got me thinking the other day…

How big is my anchor? “We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure.” (Hebrews 6:19) Hope in what? Hope for everything God promised; which also brings into play our faith. How big is my faith, my trust, in God? Beth Moore makes the point, “I’m not asking if you believe in God, but do you believe God? Do you take Him at His word? Do you trust Him?

We are asked by God, “Do you trust me?” But the relationship isn’t just dependent on our faith, but also, and more importantly, on His faithfulness. My faith make falter at times. Doubts may try to find a home in my heart; His faithfulness, on the other hand, in unshakable.

I remember as a teenager my pastor raising the question, “Do you have monkey religion or cat religion?” He told the story of a mother monkey carrying her young across a log that had fallen to span a ravine. The baby was holding on for dear life. Unfortunately he lost his grip and plummeted to his death. Nice story, Preach.

He then told of a lioness which approached the same log spanning the same ravine. She took her cub by the nape of the neck in her vice-like jaws and carried it easily to safety on the other side. My pastor got excited, “That’s how it is with God! It’s not about our ability to hold onto Him, but His ability to hold on to us! Do you see your relationship with God more like the monkey or the cat?”

When you combine your faith, your trust, with God’s faithfulness and trustworthiness, the result is a soul anchored and secure.

~ Father, thank you for anchoring me. Thank you for the security of your faithfulness. Amen.

No comments: