Sunday, April 15, 2007

Apr. 15: Shall We Dance?

I love dancing! It stills feels a little strange, and very freeing, to say that. Until recently I never danced. I grew up in a very strict religious culture that forbade dancing. We were taught that “bad” people dance, or that if “good” people dance they will think “bad” thoughts and eventually do “bad” things. My teachers saw everything as black and white, not much color. I found out pretty early on that I had “bad” (i.e. sexual) thoughts whether or not I was dancing, or whether or not the girl I was thinking about was dancing. But dancing was a ‘no-no’ nonetheless.

Nowadays my favorite TV show is Dancing with the Stars. The best gift I ever gave my wife was ballroom dancing lessons. We thoroughly enjoy dancing together, although some of the church folks were a little nonplussed. I love the movie Shall We Dance starring Richard Gere, Jennifer Lopez and Susan Sarandon. I saw a Nascar fan tonight who loves dancing, too. He was wearing a t-shirt that declared “the only dancing I watch is 3 wide going 200 mph”.

Because of my strict religious upbringing I have spent most of my life looking at God as an angry Father: “Do what I say!”, “Don’t break the rules!”, “Straighten up and fly right or else!”, etc., -- you get the picture. Lately I have come to think of my relationship with God in terms of the dance. The Holy Spirit leads and I follow, trying to match the steps; awkward at first, unfamiliar rhythms, unsure of the next step, lots of stumbling and stepping on toes.

But with practice and patience it becomes effortless and graceful. Graceful—filled with grace. Now that’s a lifestyle worth pursuing. The Bible instructs us to “Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children.” (Ephesians 5:1). When I was a young child I remember following my Dad and stretching, taking big steps trying to match His long strides. That’s the picture in my mind when I read that verse. Be imitators of God, follow Him, and try to match His steps.

The Apostle Paul also encourages us: “Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit." Galatians 5:25). When I see the word “step” I no longer think about walking, but dancing. Keeping in step with the Spirit—He leads I follow. An anonymous writer once made the same comparison. She used the word “guidance” and broke it down as “G(od)-u (you and)-i-dance.”

One, two, three; one, two, three; one, two, three… Just as you repeat three simple steps over and over and the result is a beautiful waltz, so there are three simple steps to following Jesus. Three easy steps: Knowing and loving God, growing to think and act like Jesus, showing and telling of God’s love by serving others. The music begins and God offers the invitation, “Shall we dance?”

~ Father, help me to listen for Your music and stay in step with Your Spirit. Amen.

No comments: