Friday, April 13, 2007

Apr. 13: Fear Knot

This day, Friday the thirteenth, gives rise to anxiety in a great number of people. Those who don’t suffer from Triskaidekaphobia (fear of the number 13) discount the fear as irrational and superstitious, but that doesn’t make it any less real for those who suffer. We may think someone else’s fear is silly, but take our own fears seriously. Most everyone is afraid on something. A look at www.phobias.com reveal hundreds of fears. H.P. Lovecraft observes that fear is “the oldest and strongest emotion of mankind.”

My dog suffers from Tonitrophobia- Fear of thunder. Others suffer from fear of tapeworms, or clouds, or bald people. If it exists—and even if it doesn’t—it can be feared. Dave Barry says, "All of us are born with a set of instinctive fears--of falling, of the dark, of lobsters, of falling on lobsters in the dark, or speaking before a Rotary Club, and of the words "Some Assembly Required."

FDR, in his First Inaugural Address back in 1933, delivers what is perhaps the most famous quote about fear: "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself - nameless, unreasoning, unjustified, terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance."
I’m sure there is a fear of fear, although I’m afraid I don’t know what it’s called. There are many times in the Bible when the phrase “fear not” appears; usually uttered by God or one of His messengers. These verses are not very inspiring or offering much comfort for those suffering from Zeusophobia- a fear of God or gods; or a fear of angels.

For me, God’s “fear not” gives some hope for my fear knot. FDR put his finger on the result of our fear: it paralyzes needed effort, our fears often immobilize us. The secret, then, may be not to remove the fear all together, but find a way to make progress even in the face of fear. Lt. John B Putnam, Jr. (1921-1944), a young man who died in WW2, got it right: “Courage is not the lack of fear but the ability to face it."

I personally gain encouragement from the Bible. In Joshua 1:9 God said, “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not tremble with fear or be dismayed, for I am the Lord your God, and I am with you wherever you go."

That used to feel so battering: “I have commanded you. Suck it up and just do it! You’re afraid? Get over it!” No comfort; even less hope. But I’ve come to hear that differently lately. What if…(my favorite phrase, by the way), what if God we look at God “commanding us” not in the sense of a dictate or demand, but command in the sense of leadership, as one would be a Commander and give direction to troops under their authority?

So I hear God say to me, “Jim, haven’t I been your Commander, your guide, your protector? Haven’t I commanded you in previous battles and seen you through? Haven’t I earned your trust, confidence and respect? Since I have been a faithful Commander to you, trust me, you can do it. Face your fears with courage and don’t let them paralyze you. I am with you wherever you go.”

I am with you wherever you go. I hear the promise of Messiah again: “His name will be called Emmanuel, which means ‘God with us.’” I hear the promise: “I will never fail you or forsake you.” I hear the final words of Jesus: “All authority is given to me in heaven and on earth…and I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”

~ Father, replace my fear knots with your “fear nots” and help we to trust you as my faithful Commander. Amen.

No comments: