Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Mar. 20: The Solitary Place

What do you do to keep yourself fresh spiritually? In our fast-paced culture it is easy to get addicted to the tempo of chaos. At times we are like the man in the circus, seeing how many plates can be spun at once, and the more he has in motion the faster they have to spin. But no one can keep up the pace indefinitely. The faster the pace of life the emptier our souls become.

We need to take a page from Jesus’ playbook. He knew that to be effective and accomplish His God-given purpose He had to have times of spiritual refreshing. “Now in the morning, having risen a long while before daylight, Jesus went out and departed to a solitary place; and there He prayed.” (Mark 1:35)

Jesus knew the value of solitude and silence. Prayer was his lifeline—like the umbilical chord for the fetus in utero, or the oxygen hose for the astronaut doing a space walk. Prayer is our spiritual lifeline, keeping us connected to God, continually abiding in His presence and having access to the resources He provides.

Jesus used this metaphor: "I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He lifts up every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful… Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me. I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing… If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you. This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.” (John 15:1-8)

How does a person find spiritual refreshing? Follow Jesus’ example of solitude, silence and prayer. God advises us to "be still, and know that I am God.” (Psalms 46:10)

I’m not sure who came up with this, but is a spiritually healthy pattern to follow:

Divert Daily: get alone and get quiet, be still before the Lord, intentionally slow the pace and seek to connect with your Creator.

Withdraw Weekly: Take some time each week to get away from the daily routine. A change of scenery and a change of pace are needed. Draw aside and seek the Lord.

Abandon Annually: Plan a vacation, but don’t fill the time with activity pursued at break-neck speed. Take a strategic retreat from the daily grind and feed your soul.

“You will seek Me and find Me. When you search for Me with all your heart I will be found by you,” says the LORD. (Jeremiah 29:13-14)

~ Father, although you’re always with me sometimes it’s difficult to ‘hear’ you in the crowd. Help me to make time alone with You a priority so I can better know Your heart and will. Amen.

No comments: