Thursday, March 15, 2007

Mar. 15: Reversing Racism

The Associated Press reported the historic event: “Meeting on the grounds of the former Confederate Capitol of Richmond, the Virginia General Assembly voted unanimously on February 24, 2007 to express "profound regret" for the state's role in slavery.” No other state has officially apologized for slavery. Although long overdue and initially met with much resistance, the resolution passed the House 96-0 and cleared the 40-member Senate on a unanimous voice vote. The resolution also expressed regret for "the exploitation of Native Americans."

The proposed resolution made national headlines in January when one delegate said, “black citizens should get over" slavery. This resolution was a step in the right direction for a state with a history of racial bigotry. Following the abolition of slavery there was institutional discrimination, forced segregation, and other expressions of racial bias--and Virginia was certainly not alone in these things.

The AP said, “The apology is the latest in a series of strides Virginia has made in overcoming its segregationist past”, and reminded readers that Virginia elected the nation’s first African-American governor, Douglas Wilder, in 1989.

Why do I bring this up? I highlight this simply to remind us all to work toward racial reconciliation; and to call on the Church, Christ-followers, to lead the way. This should be a “no-brainer.” The refusal to express “profound regret” would in essence send the message, “we are glad this happened”: how horrible! It moves one step in the right direction to at least say, “We are sorry this happened” instead of “get over it” already.

We are all brothers and sisters. The Apostle Paul reminds us through scripture that “God has made from one blood every nation of men to dwell on all the face of the earth, and has determined their pre-appointed times and the boundaries of their dwellings,” (Acts 17:26)

The Apostle John declared, “Anyone who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, whom he has not seen. And He has given us this command: ‘Whoever loves God must also love his brother.’” (1 John 4:20-21)

If something I do or say hurts my brother then I want to stop saying or doing it—because I love my brother. If my brother tells me that my acknowledging a wrong was committed and expressing “profound regret” would be a move toward healing then I want to make that move as quickly as possible—because I love my brother. What is one action you can take today to show your brother or sister of a different race that you love them like Jesus does?

~ Father, I was conditioned by my culture to see some people as inherently inferior. Forgive me for my racist attitudes and actions. Change my heart to see my brother through Christ’s eyes. Amen.

No comments: