Monday, March 12, 2007

Mar. 12: Never too old

I attended a friend’s birthday party over the weekend—his 80th. I’ve heard 50 is the new 30. I guess 80 is the new 50. Octogenarians are becoming more common. In 1900 the average lifespan in America was in one’s mid-forties. For now, Americans are living longer, on average, than ever before.

When it comes to service, what’s age got to do with it? One of my favorite “heroes of the faith” is Caleb. When Moses led the Hebrews out of Egyptian slavery he sent 12 spies to survey the land. It was all God had promised, but for fear of the inhabitants the spies advised against taking hold of the Promised Land—except two, Joshua and Caleb. (Numbers 30)

Because of their lack of faith, God had the nation wander in the desert for 40 years until that generation died off. Joshua succeeded Moses as the nation’s leader and a new generation was ready to go into the Land of Promise. I like the part of the story when we see Caleb, at age 85, reminding Joshua of a 45-year-old promise:

"You know what the LORD said to Moses…about you and me. I was forty years old when Moses…sent me to explore the land. And I brought him back a report according to my convictions, but my brothers who went up with me made the hearts of the people melt with fear. I, however, followed the LORD my God wholeheartedly. So on that day Moses swore to me, 'The land on which your feet have walked will be your inheritance and that of your children forever, because you have followed the LORD my God wholeheartedly.' "Now then, just as the LORD promised, he has kept me alive for forty-five years since the time he said this to Moses, while Israel moved about in the desert. So here I am today, eighty-five years old! I am still as strong today as the day Moses sent me out; I'm just as vigorous to go out to battle now as I was then. Now give me this hill country that the LORD promised me that day.” (Joshua 14:6-12)

I love the picture of this 85-year-old running off with these 20-somethings to finally receive what he’s dreamed of for a life-time. Maybe your of retirement age, or middle age, and feeling too old to serve God, or feeling that the best years are behind you; take a page from one devoted octogenarian named Caleb: a person of conviction, wholehearted devotion, ready for action. Why not ask God to give you the heart of Caleb, the heart of a lion, in serving Him?

~ Father, strengthen me to be ready for service and ready to laid hold of Your promise. May I be measured by a heart of obedience rather than my chronological age. Amen.

No comments: