Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Let the Good Times Roll!


I love February--one celebration after another. We had a great weekend with a Groundhog Day party early Saturday morning and the Super Bowl Sunday evening (congrats to the New York Football Giants on their stunning and historic victory, and to the Patriots for an amazing season and hard-fought final contest).

Later in the month we've got Valentine's Day, birthday festivities for my wonderful wife and incredible son. And today is a two-fer -- Mardi Gras and Super Tuesday. I'm so excited I'm about to burst! Laissez les bons temps rouler! Let the good times roll! Ah-yeee! (That's cajun for yee-haw)


My Primary Care Physician is a woman. That was a little awkward for me at first, but I've gotten used to it. The leftover baggage from my strict fundamentalist upbringing only occasionally intensifies my embarrassment during doctor's visits.

Last year I had a check-up that happened to fall on Fat Tuesday (that's English for Mardi Gras). Her parting words were, "Have a blessed Lenten Season" (she's an Episcopal, by the way). I wished her the same and added, "Laissez les bons temps rouler!" and reminded her that today is Mardi Gras where I come from and her last chance to misbehave before Easter.

She squealed with delight, ran back into her office and retrieved several strands of colorful Mardi Gras beads from her desk drawer.

"Here", she said, "These are for you!"

I was thrilled! "Wow! Mardi Gras beads; and I didn't even have to expose my chest to get them!" We had a good laugh and I was on my way, feeling giddy.

I got a few strange looks in the elevator (most folks don't do Mardi Gras way up north, here in Virginia) but that didn't dampen my spirits. In the lobby I saw an older gentleman on crutches, he looked at me and grinned so I gave him some of my beads and wished him a "Happy Mardi Gras". He was still laughing as I left and I glanced over my shoulder to see him giving the beads to his lady friend who had driven him to the doctor, and she was beaming upon receiving the simple gift.

Now, I am not endorsing the debauchery typically associated with Mardi Gras. I'm just saying, there was a lot of joy and laughter for a few moments that morning over some silly beads and kind greetings among strangers. And I'm sure it made God smile, too.

"Laissez les bons temps rouler!" strongly conveys the "joie de vivre" ("joy of living") often found among the residents of South Louisiana. The joy of living; now that sounds like an apt description of people who are experiencing New Life, abundant life. I don't know about you, but I need more of that--every day.

The joy of living. That's what Jesus was all about, and people who follow his Way, of all peoples, ought to be living joy-filled lives. We can "practice the presence of Jesus" and spread a little joy wherever we happen to be standing at any given moment.

Think for a moment, whose life could you brighten today with a simple gift of time and attention? Look for someone who could use a little pick-me-up and let God use you to brighten their day. As my friend Faye says, "When you're feeling down, find a need and meet it". Sounds good to me, and I'm pretty sure God would agree. Making someone else's day--now that's a good time..."Laissez les bons temps rouler!"

~ Father, help me to live this day to the fullest--full of service and kindness, and full of joy. Amen.

2 comments:

Chris Jones said...

I wish I were fortunate enough to have had a strict fundamentalist upbringing.

Unfortunately, my dad drank and beat my mom and me.

Not sure where I was going with that, but I find it sad that such a negative connotation has been placed on the term "fundamentalist".

I love you, Jim and I am glad Jesus gave me another chance.

Chris

"pastor" Jim Thompson said...

Chris,
I am sorry you had such an abusive childhood. I hate that you had to endure that. I am grateful that God has a way of healing those wounds, making up for lost time, and restoring what was stolen away.

I also apologize for using the term "fundamentalist" in a negative way. I realize it means "those who hold to the basics of the faith"--and that can be a good thing.

For me, that rigid upbringing to which I referred was often full of legalism and hypocrisy, and abusive in ways different from your upbringing, but damaging nonetheless. It has taken years (and I still struggle) to overcome some of that baggage.

When people hold to "the letter of the Law" without the "spirit of the Law" they inevitably do more harm that good.

I love you, man, and I'm glad Jesus gives us all another chance...and another.

JimT