Thursday, February 7, 2008

The Circus is Coming to Town

I am a political junkie. I'm addicted, and this primary season has kept me transfixed on the 24 hour news channels almost every waking hour I'm at home. I was glued to the tube Tuesday night and Wednesday morning, watching the voting results of Super Tuesday with the same intensity that New York Giants fans watched the Super Bowl Sunday night. Well, not quite, but close.

Tuesday is my state's day to have its voice heard. As far as Red State vs. Blue State, we are considered a Purple State. So Wednesday morning it began--the TV ads, the robotic recorded phone calls, etc.

Tomorrow, one of the Republican candidates will be in town, about 5 miles from my house. It's getting crazy around here. Now I have a better idea of what the good citizens of Iowa had to put up with a few weeks ago when all this began, only for us it is on a smaller scale since the field of candidates in both parties has narrowed and at least on the Republican side the nominee seems inevitable at this point.

It is interesting here, because citizens can vote in either party's primary, but not both, regardless of official party affiliation. When one goes into the polling place they are asked which party's primary they want to participate in, and are given the appropriate ballot. So you could have Republicans voting in the Democratic Primary in order to influence the outcome in their preferred direction.

The Democrats have the same option, but with the Republican race outcome pretty well determined at this point, and the Democratic race still neck and neck, no Democrat would want to waste their vote in the GOP primary when their vote is so important in their own party's race.

Anyway, no real point to this post, no life lesson or "sermon illustration". Just wanted my online friends to know that I AM STOKED that it's finally my turn.

Also to give you the opportunity to tell me who you think I should vote for and why.

Can't wait to hear your opinions.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

***raises hand*** Political junkie too!!!!

Oh gosh I'm so glad Iowa voted at the beginning. I thought THEN it was hard to pick a candidate. NOW it's even worse.

I'm not going to tell you who to vote for (cuz that would be exactly like something I would do and I hate to be predictible. LOL), but I bet I can guess. (^ ^)

Chris Jones said...

"I had a dream..."

Perhaps "Mini-Bush" will actually run out of money and not be able to keep the momentum, therby giving "Thomas Jefferson" a crack at this.

Still praying for my beaten, battered and financially destitute country.

Chris Jones

"pastor" Jim Thompson said...

Sister Free,
re: "I bet I could guess"
I bet you'd be shocked and surprised, but I'm keeping it a secret for now.

Chris,
I praying along with you, man!

Chris Jones said...

Check this guy out.....

http://bibchr.blogspot.com/

He's Calvinist, Dispensationalist but otherwise I think he's a GENUIS.

Chris

Brian said...

I can't give you any advice, because I can't make up my own mind. Thankfully, my state is one of the last to vote in the primary, so most likely it won't matter if I even vote.

I'm dying to know who you're leaning towards! ;)

Anonymous said...

**rubbing hands together excitedly** TELL TELL!

Huckabee just won Kansas.

"pastor" Jim Thompson said...

Well, let's just say he (that's your first clue) and I have both been accused of being "naive", "idealistic" and having our "head in the clouds."

Did you guess?

Brian said...

Obama? That's my pick at the moment.