Saturday, February 9, 2008

The Giving Father

One day Jesus was praying in a certain place. When he finished, one of his disciples said to him, "Lord, teach us to pray, just as John taught his disciples."

He said to them, "When you pray, say
Father, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come.
Give us each day our daily bread.
Forgive us our sins, for we also forgive everyone who sins against us. And lead us not into temptation.'"

Then he said to them, "Suppose one of you has a friend, and he goes to him at midnight and says, 'Friend, lend me three loaves of bread, because a friend of mine on a journey has come to me, and I have nothing to set before him.'

"Then the one inside answers, 'Don't bother me. The door is already locked, and my children are with me in bed. I can't get up and give you anything.' I tell you, though he will not get up and give him the bread because he is his friend, yet because of the man's persistence he will get up and give him as much as he needs.

"So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened.

"Which of you fathers, if your son asks for a fish, will give him a snake instead? Or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!" (Luke 11:1-13)

I don't know how I've missed it all these years. Why have I never noticed it before?

I know about the hidden details of the parable and the Middle-Eastern customs of hospitality that give insight that is often lost of westerners; and how he shamed his neighbor into action. I have studied the verb tense of the original language and found that it implies continuous action...

Ask, and keep on asking;

Seek, and keep on seeking;

Knock, and keep on knocking.

I have often focused on the contrast between earthly fathers who give good gifts and the Heavenly Father who gives better gifts... and gives "much more".
I have often thought about how "your Father in heaven will give to those who ask", and how that often gets translated into wealth, health and security by many "prosperity preachers".

But I have missed the point. Jesus didn't say God would give us any thing for which we ask. He said the Father in heaven would give the Holy Spirit (the Spirit of the Holy God) to those who ask Him.

If we ask him, not for material things, or healing, or comfort, or peace--or any other thing; but if we ask Him for Himself--to know Him and have His Spirit reside with us--that is the prayer He will answer.

It's all about relationship. If one of my children approaches me, not wanting any thing, but simply wanting me, wanting to spend time with me, hang out and laugh together, just be--that makes my day!

It's not about God giving stuff to those who ask, but giving Himself to those who truly want to know Him. That is a prayer he longs to answer.

No comments: