Saturday, January 5, 2008

Seeker Sensitive

I got into an interesting discussion with an older pastor-friend the other day. He was decrying the trend he has seen in churches during the past twenty-five years or so of "seeker sensitive worship services"--the piano and organ is usually replaced with guitars and drum, song lyrics projected on a big screen. He saw the whole thing as "watered-down", sac religious--even "blasphemous".

I have a little different take on things. To me, "seeker sensitive" doesn't imply watering down the truths or challenges of Jesus, rather is means an attempt to see things from the point of view of the one who is not (yet) a believer. It is attempting to put oneself in the shoes of the one who is unfamiliar and uncertain, whether they have never been to church or they are entering a place with different traditions and customs.

What's the alternative, to be "seeker insensitive"? Being seeker sensitive is not about "worship styles", dress codes or whether or not they serve coffee in the "lobby". It's about being mindful of one's guests and not making assumptions. It means explaining things as we go along, telling about why you do what you do.

I think it would be great if churches in general were more sensitive to the seekers in their midst. God, by the way, is seeker sensitive and has a great invitation and promise for the one who is really searching for answers about God and spiritual truth:

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you," declares the LORD. (Jeremiah 29:11-14)

Jesus said, "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened. (Matthew 7:7-8)

Father~ Thank you for desiring to make yourself known, answer my questions and fulfill my longings. Thank you for feeding my hungry heart. Help me to be sensitive to others who are chasing after the truth. Amen.

4 comments:

Brian said...

Amen. I wish there were many more pastors like you in the world.

"pastor" Jim Thompson said...

Thanks for your kind words of encouragement, inrepair!

JimT

Was said...

I like your perspective on "seeker-sensitive" services. Yet, the idea of "seeker sensitive" services in practice are watered down. They preach non-challenging messages hoping to lure the non-believers to the other services and PROGRAMS. I believe by that definition, you are NO WHERE near "seeker sensitive" because you challenge both believers and non-believers to rethink their faith/non-faith each and every time you minister. AMEN and continue the journey.

"pastor" Jim Thompson said...

Thanks, Was!