Saturday, January 5, 2008

The Big Challenge

Lee Strobel was an atheist and legal editor for the Chicago Tribune. It was his agnostic wife’s conversion to Christianity that prompted him to use his legal training and journalistic experience to systematically study the Bible, ancient history and archeology, and interview dozens of scholars in those fields. After a couple of years of intense study he came to the unexpected conclusion that Jesus is the unique Son of God. It wasn’t the outcome he was necessarily seeking, but the conclusion he believes the evidence persuasively warranted.

He has since written several books about the evidence and interviews that help persuade him: God’s Outrageous Claims, The Case for Christ, The Case for Faith, and The Case for a Creator.

I am all for searching for the truth—and I do not believe it is relative. But here’s the big question with which Lee was confronted, and the one that faces me: “Am I willing to set aside my preconceptions and let the evidence take me wherever it will?” I did (and continue to attempt that, although it is at times a painful process), and continue to come to the same conclusion Lee did.

I challenge my atheist friends to do the same—to give an honest look at the gospel accounts of the life of Jesus, and the evidence supporting them as accurate and reliable. Give all sides a "fair hearing" before casting your verdict. Are you willing to set aside your preconceptions and let the evidence take you wherever it will?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read several of Lee Strobel's books, and I have to say that I found them infuriating. Maybe I need to re-read them again, but at the time (several years ago) I felt that while he presented himself as a "different" perspective (as a former atheist) he actually took a very evangelical position that was quite difficult for me, as a former and occasional atheist, to accept. I found him no different than every other evangelical, minus the fact that he never directly told me I would go to hell. :) I remember scribbling angry notes all over the margains of that book, but maybe I should try again.

"pastor" Jim Thompson said...

Caroline,

I would love to see comments you wrote :)

I don't agree with any author 100% but he has challenged me to re-think some things.