Tuesday, May 5, 2009

That's All He's Got

I was watching the old Rocky III movie the other day where Balboa took on Clubber Lang (played my Mr. T). In the finale, the big match, there is the scene where Rocky has taken Lang's most punishing shots and withstood them all.

He realizes this guy can't beat him, the victory is his. Rocky begins to taunt Lang in an effort to get him to expend his energy and wear himself out: "Is that all you've got!? You ain't nothin'!"

I was talking with a couple of friends about recent failure on my part, giving in to temptation--old habits die hard.

As I explained how it was different this time. There wasn't a sense of God's anger about my failure or even His disappointment. I was disappointed in myself. I felt yukky. There was no feeling of condemnation on God's part. There is a strong resolve not to go down that road again... It just doesn't hold the appeal that it once did.

My friend told me how the Enemy (the devil) works; basically he's only got three tricks: he lies to us and tries to deceive us. He tempts us. He accuses us. the Bible calls him "the Tempter", the "Father of Lies", and "the Accuser of the Saints."

If we no longer buy the lie; no longer take the bait (are attracted to the lure, the temptation); and after failing, we no longer allow his accusations to stick because we know whose we are in Christ... then we win the battle. That's all he's got. That's all he's got!

There is such freedom in that!

No comments: