Friday, May 22, 2009

Disarming Agitators

The other day I was just a bear. Snapping at everyone. Frustrated. Agitated. Stressed. Pacing. Caged. Finally I got a piece a paper and wrote the answer to four questions:

About what am I ANGRY?
About what am I ANXIOUS?
Of what am I AFRAID?
What am I AVOIDING?

It was amazing, the instant peace that settled over me by just seeing these things in front of me. Two or three things under each heading. Identifying them didn't make them disappear but suddenly took the teeth out of them.

The things about which I was angry--frustrations with family members--suddenly seemed petty. I even laughed that I had been stressing over a couple of these things. Anxiety and fear turned to resolve to confront the things I had been avoiding.

Amazing how quickly this little exercise transformed my whole disposition. These agitators and stressors become so small and were instantly disarmed when dragged into the light.

1 comment:

Brian said...

This sounds like something I need to do often. Stress has been a frequent visitor in my life recently.