Saturday, September 13, 2008

"Would you still love me if you knew the 'real' me?"

I was so good at pretending
like an actor on a stage
but in the end nobody knew me
only the roles that I portrayed
and I would rather have you hate me
knowing who I really am
than to try and make you love me
being something that I can’t”


(from “God Knows I Tried” by Ray Boltz).

"Would you still love me if you knew the 'real' me?" It's a universal question. And because of fear many never verbalize it. And because of fear many never have the courage to be authentic and let the chips fall where they may. No doubt, with recent news of a popular Christian singer 'coming out' about his sexuality, there will be many former fans lining up to condemn him..

But I like the way he put it: "I really had no master plan here. I’ve just been trying to go with the idea that you can either live your life out of love or out of fear."


Being honest with ourselves and honest with God (who already knows anyway) is crucial. Choosing not to live out of fear is freeing. I hear Ray's story repeated quite frequently, often by church leaders... or their children:


“I’d denied it ever since I was a kid. I became a Christian, I thought that was the way to deal with this and I prayed hard and tried for 30-some years and then at the end, I was just going, ‘I’m still gay. I know I am.’ And I just got to the place where I couldn’t take it anymore … when I was going through all this darkness, I thought, ‘Just end this.’”


When I read the story I felt sad. Not sad about the truth, but sad that Ray had lived in fear and captivity for so long. What kind of reaction will he get from the adoring crowds who applauded, bought his CDs and sang his songs in their worship services? That remains to be seen, but I have a pretty good guess, and it's not pretty.

The sad thing is that many who will be 'throwing stones' and removing his songs from their praise band's playlist have their own secrets, their own dual lives. Too many of us live in the same fear and with disparity between our private and public lives. We worship every week, lives veiled in secret bondage while singing songs of freedom.

Spiritual freedom begins with honesty. One reason church attendance has dropped off in recent decades in America is for this very reason. People are tired of the hypocrisy; tired of faking it (or being told to fake it). Those with the courage to live honestly are tired
of being judged by people who aren't.

I am blessed to have a small group of friends with whom I can 'lay my cards on the table' and still be accepted and loved. We honestly share our failures and weaknesses, our struggles and fears. We encourage each other to face our giants and live authentically.

I think that's part of what makes for heaven on earth; no skeletons in the closet. Not that there are no skeletons, just that they're not kept secret, therefore the fear of them being revealed holds no power over our daily lives. That is freedom. And in that freedom is peace and joy.

I pray for Ray, that as he lives authentically he will know that freedom, joy and peace. And I pray for all the other 'rays' out there, some of whom will be his harshest critics, who don't yet have the courage to live honestly, and who, as a result, are still locked in their own prisons. I pray they will truly hear the invitation of Jesus and find freedom...and rest.

"The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor.
He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind,
to release the oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor."

(Isaiah 61:1-2; repeated by Jesus in Luke 4)

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls."
(Matthew 11:28-29)

2 comments:

Darelina said...

I'm confused about your blog, because it appears that you're approving Ray's choice to turn against what the Bible says in regards to homosexuality.

I fully understand that we shouldn't live in fear, especially knowing that Christ is in our lives, but my take on the homosexual urgings is much like it is for other sins. We all have a cross we must bear. And if we don't take up that cross (that raging sin within us) can we say we're doing as Christ has told us we must do? Romans 1:26, 27 is clear that God gave men over to their unnatural use of each other. But, in chapter 6 Paul reminds us that we do NOT have to live in sin any longer! Christ freed us. That's TRULY living without fear!

I am very sad for Ray and his family and I will continue to pray for all of them. But, I will not accept his choice or the choice of all the other "Rays" out there. We can love the person, but we CANNOT excuse the sin.

The early Christians would have removed a person who made a choice like this. 1 Cor. 5:4-11 speaks of giving a brother/sister over to Satan (excommunicating them) because of a sin like fornication. Not to eat with them (not to share communion). This punishment was to hopefully, prayerfully, lovingly attempt to bring the wayward brother/sister back to right thinking in Christ.

The actions of the Christian community to "shun" someone by removing their music, etc. doesn't last long and and doesn't bring the sinner to repentance, sadly. Christians have become weak and blantant sin runs rampant in our midst.

In Him,
Darelina

Brian said...

What an absolutely beautiful post! I was stunned when I read about Mr. Boltz, but I wish him all the best. I fear that many in the religious community will do just as you described, but if they would look at their own lives before casting the first stone... well, you know.

Kudos to you for having the courage and sensitivity to write this entry. You never fail to amaze me!