Thursday, September 18, 2008

Thankful Thursday

We often say "prayers of petition" where we ask God for help; and "prayers of intercession" where we ask God to help others. I find that I don't voice "prayers of thanksgiving" often enough.

The truth is that thankfulness is vital to our spiritual well-being. What are you thankful for today? Say to God, "every blessing you pour out I will turn back to praise".


"Praise the Lord, I tell myself; with my whole heart, I will praise his holy name. Praise the Lord, I tell myself, and never forget the good things he does for me. He forgives all my sins and heals all my diseases. He ransoms me from death and surrounds me with love and tender mercies." (Psalm 103:1–4)


Take a moment and thank God for at least one thing right now. Maybe consider keeping a written record, a "Gratitude Journal", where each day you write down at least one blessing for which you are grateful. Keep it simple.


Celebrating Thanksgiving once a year is not enough. So I'm beginning a weekly habit, Thankful Thursday, to celebrate Thanksgiving every week. I even had a turkey sandwich for supper.


"Tonight as I watch the news reports about the devastation along the Texas coast, I thank you, God, for the house in which I live, for clean water and electricity. God, watch over the people who've lost so much during the recent storms, and prompt those whom you've blessed with 'more than enough' resources to share with those who are without. Amen."

No comments: